Friday, September 28, 2007

Conversations of 3 Homeschool Moms

Today was our Co-Op day!! Which is usually an extremely exhausting day for all of us. I feel I belong to one of the best co-ops out there. (There aren't many where we live, although there is more than their were 8 yrs ago) One thing I really enjoy about going, is we moms usually find the time to chit chat a bit during all the chaos.
I love the families at our co-op. We just have such a great group of diverse, yet like minded families. We have many veteran homeschoolers who already have children in college, and of course some just getting started.

Anyway, today after our lunch time a couple of other moms and I were chatting about how difficult it has been to get some of our kids to do their schoolwork. I was never so glad to partake in a conversation in quite some time. I truly laughed and laughed and laughed. I wasn't laughing at them, I was laughing because I have been having the exact same problem with mine lately. We were discussing our "techniques" of encouraging our children to keep up with their studies. We were glad to find that we shared some of the same thoughts and tactics .
It does take a toll on a homeschool mom when her kids just don't feel like doing school that day, or maybe that week.
One of the ways I combat this problem with my kids is we technically "school" all year. So this allows us to take quite a few mini breaks. It has seemed to work well for our family.
I try to keep up with math, even if it isn't on paper. I usually let them help with various projects that would require math skills. Cooking, building projects, grocery shopping. But we do chuck the books aside and go off on little mini field trips.
We do History at dinner time. We have our timeline along the dinning room wall and we review it and move on a little each time we sit down for a meal. This also gives me time while everyone else at least sits in one spot for a minute or two, to get all the food on the table, feed the baby and take a few bites for myself now and then. We use the Mystery of History which I love!

No comments: