Friday, September 28, 2007

How can you feel qualified to teach your kids?

Believe it or not, some very close Christian family members have expressed their disaproval of our choice to education our children at home. I felt that others may benefit from these conversations, and it helps me to get it off my chest so I don't explode all over them one day.

The basic agreement among them is that we or should I say "I" am not qualified to properly teach my children anything. This I find extremely funny in some ways, sad in others, and down right furious eventually.

What also is so extremely strange to me, is that they claim that they depend on God for their every decision, and that they would go wherever God would send them, yet they wouldn't dare go to a bar, a bad neighborhood, or befriend anyone who is "unchurched" , yet they want to criticize us for doing what we feel lead to do as Christian parents with our own God given children. They expect us to conform to this world and send our spiritually underdeveloped children out into the public schools with the children of the very parents that were in those bars, bad neighborhoods and who are spiritually starved from lack of true Christians offering any sort of real ministry to those who truly need it. And they expect our children to be the light in a place where even the strongest lights quickly diminish under the deep spiritual void supplied by the heavy social overtones that are built in to every facet of today's American Public School System. And they think we're crazy? Any human being who not only has read the Bible, but claims to believe it and use it to guide their lives would be an idiot to not take their children's education as their own personal responsibility. I'm not saying parents who put their children' in public schools are idiots or half hearted Christians. I am saying that God gave us His Word, His Spirit, Our children and a choice, free will, I believe some call it. I have read, I do believe, and I take my parental responsibility directly from the Bible and I expect to be held accountable for my actions or lack thereof. With this basis is what my husband and I used to make our decisions about every aspect of our family.

I guess what makes this an extremely touchy area for me, is that I just assumed that fellow Christians would at least respect another's calling from God, is one's calling from God more deserving and respectable than another's? Just because ours pertains to our children, does it make it any less of a calling?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe people have actually displayed such opposition to you and your husbands decision about your own children's education. Why would it matter to these other people? They aren't their kids.