Monday, September 14, 2009

Getting Back to School

Its really difficult to get back into school after taking some time off to adjust for the twins. But, we are getting there.

I'm still digesting some "research" I have done for the last few months. I had started writing again, and I was looking for some details to add to my writings and ended up on a very interesting side venture, to say the least. So, as I'm working those thoughts out of my head and onto paper, I've been contemplating the various subjects we will be studying this year. ;)

The kids all voted to study various inventions and inventors. That sounded great to me too, so that's where we will start this year. I'm looking forward to looking a bit closer at Da Vinci. He had some amazing ideas. I think we are going to make a few models of his drawings, depending on the interest level of the kids.

My older son will be studying the book, The Art of War by Sun Tzu. I had heard about this book before, but had not read it yet. After reading several summaries, I find it fascinating. You could use the strategies in this book to approach almost any subject. It's amazing.

French will move from a side subject, to a main subject this year. I really want the kids to be almost fluent in french by the end of the year. I'm fairly confident they can do it.

And of course logic and reasoning. That's a given. I think that's one of the major subjects anyone should study. Not quite sure what books or games/puzzles we will be using for that so far.


No comments: